Thursday, December 12, 2013

Emblems/Coat of Arms of Central Asia

A thank you to the lovely comment on my flag post which made me remember that countries also have emblems or coats of arms.  I searched my memory for what the USA's was, and I could not remember it.  Of course when I saw it, I said, oh yeah, the Great Seal, bark bark bark...

You know, like a seal?  Bark?  Get it?

So I decided to mock up the emblems of the Central Asian nations.  Turns out that they're pretty awesome.



A word of explanation - They are in the same order as the flag graphic, with Kazakhstan at the top, Uzbekistan in the middle left, Kyrgyzstan in the middle right, Turkmenistan in the bottom left and Tajikistan on the bottom right.  All of these emblems except Kazakhstan have both cotton and wheat in them.  Cotton is an important part of the economy in these countries, whereas Kazakhstan has large oil/gas deposits.  Tajikistan's book is clearly a Quran and the sun/crown combination is, to me, vaguely reminiscent of the Qajar dynasty's seal from early 20th century Iran.  Both have the rising sun and a crown, although this one has a ninja lion.


Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan all have mountains and the horse or bird motif seems to be the way to go with Central Asian emblems. 

Preferences?


2 comments:

  1. the sun is given another color (it would be yellow, at kyrgyzstan, tadjikstan, kazakztan). but, it is my opinion

    ReplyDelete